In Conversation with Professor Jeremy Moon.
FULL TRANSCRIPT
2 May 2013, Melbourne Australia
Jeremy Moon is Professor and founding Director of the International Centre for Corporate Social Responsibility, Nottingham University Business School. He is in Melbourne as the Trinity College Gourlay Visiting Professor of Ethics in Business. Professor Moon sat down with Centre for Public Policy Research Fellow, Sara Bice, for a discussion on the latest developments in corporate social responsibility and business ethics.
Excerpts from this interview originally appeared in The Conversation.
Sara Bice: Professor Moon, you’re considered a CSR guru in sustainability
circles – you’ve been involved since the ‘early days’ of CSR and are a
co-editor of the Oxford Handbook for
Corporate Social Responsibility, which had become a kind of Bible for those
of us working and researching in the field. Can you tell me a little about how
you came to work in CSR?
Jeremy Moon: In some ways it’s a shock that I’m still involved in it
because I encountered it professionally 30 years ago. I was doing research in
the UK on government policy responses to unemployment, which was a very serious
issue at the time. In a very short space of time, unemployment went from $1
million to 2 milion to 3 million. Probably the numbers were cooked, but it
still seemed quite a huge number, associated with urban decay, disaffection,
even riots as we saw in Bristol. And during the course of my research I kept
encountering businesses being involved in a way, a number of ways, often
supporting local economic partnerships where they’d been called on by local governments
to devise ways to get people back to work, being featured in government
training and work experience schemes.
Thirdly, they were involved in their own organisations,
designed specifically for these purposes –certain organisations set up
secondments from large companies to social enterprises, local economic
partnerships. There was also the creation of a new umbrella org called Business
in the Community which paradoxically encouraged by the government but
principally led by the Captains of Industry, if you like. CEOs and the like.
So, obviously the question is, “What’s going on here, then?” I started
diverting some of my research energies from formal public policy instituted by
government to these new areas.
My first paper on this, with my dear co-author, Jeremy
Richardson, was something like the ‘unemployment industry’. There was an
element of industry to it, but companies were part of it but not necessarily
making money. One of the interesting things was it had been assumed that
companies would throw their own resources at the problem, but what we found was
that companies were bringing other sorts of skills to the table, their
knowledge, their skills, their people, their ability to help through
experience.
And that’s how I became interested in it, and it remained as
a research interest when I returned to Australia. It was in the early 1990s and
there was a downturn here. I did a study of that. So I did a survey of companies
to ask about their corporate social responsibility and I thought, “How could
you really corroborate these findings?” Because the problem with companies is
that they would say that, well, they’d ‘over-egg the pudding, so to speak’.
So, I did a survey of key stakeholders who might be sceptical—that was
school principals—given that companies often prioritise education as one of the
areas they should be concerned about, as an object of responsibility. And that led
to providing evidence to a somewhat sceptical Senate Committee on Business and
Education. And up until then CSR remained one of three or four of my main
research interests and then I was lucky enough to be appointed to a job running
a research centre dedicated to it. And that’s allowed me, for 12 years, to
focus on these issues.
And it’s been very exciting! It’s been very intellectually
stimulating, from an ethical point of view, from an economical point of view,
from a political science point of view, from a legal point of view. I meet so
many different people.
SB: And it probably allows you to play Devil’s Advocate a
bit and to sit on different sides of the table?
JM: I do, and I mean, on my current lecture tour, I’m being
accused of being unnecessarily optimistic, or inappropriately optimistic, but
that’s in some ways the sort of person I am. I tend to accentuate the positive,
but I’m not without ability to see some of the shortcomings.
SB: At your recent talk at Melbourne Law School on 'Can
Business be socially responsible? Should it be?', you admitted to being an
optimist when it comes to CSR. Where do you think the optimism comes from?
JM: Possibility. I suppose that’s partly my character fault.
SB: Or strength. Having had so much exposure to business for
so many years, and having started on the ground floor of CSR, in terms of its 'embeddedness' in organisations, there must be something in your experiences that
creates that sense of optimism or possibility.
JM: Yeah. Good question. In some ways, there are innumerable
stories about companies being good at one thing and then getting something very
badly wrong or companies appearing to do something very well and then it turns
out they haven’t. Then they have to acknowledge that. I suppose that there is,
in CSR, in a liberal democratic context, in a market context, a possibility for
steady improvement. The formula is basically this: Companies think they need to
look socially responsible. They make at least rhetorical commitments to this.
They oftentimes come up short. That information becomes publicly available. The
objective of positively reinforcing the company’s image is negated. In fact,
things have got worse. And so companies need to invest and deal with social
responsibility better .
That’s the sort of mechanism and I think that’s being
addressed by professionalisation of the field—which is still very incomplete—assisted
by accountants, by financial analysts, and by
experts in environmental and social issues who are being drawn in, not
just to criticise the company, but to listen and to work with companies. So, I
think there are some mechanisms at work which allow for some optimism, despite
everything.
SB: Turning to
recent news, the recent factory collapse in Bangladesh in which over 1,000
people were killed captured world headlines and presented shocking images. The
factory has been linked to clothing produced for major companies, including
WalMart, JC Penney and the Benneton brand, among several others. The
Bangladeshi government entices retailers to invest in the country through
ensuring costs are kept low. The building’s owner was recently arrested in
India and taken back to Dhaka on charges of faulty construction and causing
unlawful death. People are asking, “Who’s to blame?” From your perspective, and
considering the debates around corporate versus government responsibilities,
where does responsibility lie?
JM: [long pause] Bangladesh is a country where, I’m guessing,
probably a quarter of its earnings are in the textile industry – conceivably
more. And the sad news is that’s a result of t-shirts, dresses, shirts,
trousers being produced there more cheaply than in the United Kingdom, the
United States of America, Denmark, Sweden.
Now, the key question is how is that issue regarded?
One could regard it irresponsibly, casually and simply to
exploit relatively powerless conditions of citizens and workers in that
country.
Or it could present an opportunity to work with it, but also
to see this as a development project, rather than simply a market relationship.
And this casualness, ostensibly, I think is shared
manifestly with the Bengali Government, which is elected – and there are
elections later this year.
So, these are elected governments. They have rules. And they
do have capacities to enforce these rules. It’s a question of priorities.
Secondly, companies which source from these factories—in
brackets—I suspect they often work through intermediaries, called ‘buyers’, so
I think there’s another layer in the mix that would need to be scrutinised.
SB: And certainly that’s come out in the news lately where
some of these big multinationals that have come under scrutiny have said, “We
didn’t realise that our clothes were being produced in that factory”.
JM: Yeah, and this might provoke two sorts of responses, the
first being that companies should shorten their supply chains, which probably
would mean requiring them to buy from a smaller number of bigger operators.
It
may even prompt them to bring some of the production home. I’ll come back to
that one in a minute. But
they need to understand the provenance of their
goods. Otherwise, any claims being made to being members of ethical trade
initiatives are simply fraudulent. One needs to understand one’s business from
beginning to end, and this is one of the new demands in the CSR terrain. It’s
not just about sourcing but also about disposal, as well.
SB: And you can see that reflected in the GRI G4 and its
focus on ‘value chain’.
JM: Entirely. It’s quite possible that some of these corporations
acted in good faith and have been misled. If that’s the case, they now need to
act very swiftly to ensure that they are not misled again.
The owner, I don’t know enough about. But it is manifestly
appropriate that someone is at least questioned and perhaps charged. I would
have thought manslaughter. Culpable manslaughter in the legal system I’m
familiar with. Very sad, but not inappropriate.
And swift action by the government, in this respect, I hope
will be complemented by swift action through the galvanisation in respect to
certification systems. So, with a little luck, health and safety will be
treated with the same respect as child labour, within the next decade. If not,
these people may have died in vain.
SB: It’s interesting because child labour tends to be very
emotionally evocative, whereas OHS may be seen as more pedestrian...
JM: Yes and no. The early factory workers’ movements were
very much about adults and hours of work. It wasn’t just about the boys being
shoved up chimneys. Whatever the Acts were of the 1840s and 1850s, they considered
these issues.
But this does, of course, bring up the question of to what
extent are levels of production improved, work conditions improved? And if
there’s no improvement in Bangladesh, then it becomes a question of balance,
rather than dichotomies.
SB: And do you think this example raises questions of
bringing supply back ‘on shore’, as it were.
JM: It does. If companies want to understand and manage
their supply chains, then in the long run, they may judge onshore manufacturing
to be a cheaper option than the uncertainties of relying on intermediaries and
on regulators whom they can’t quite trust.
SB: So it’s almost the opportunity cost, as opposed to price
per shirt?
JM: And risk, yeah. Companies do make shirts in Britain, but
they are quite expensive.
SB: And one of the arguments that has been put forward is
that, as consumers, we need to decide whether we feel ethically comfortable
purchasing cheap clothing, and perhaps as consumers we need to be more willing
to pay more for higher quality goods.
JM: Thank you for reminding me of this point. There was an
editorial in The Australian a day or
two ago, and this was quite nicely pointed to. The question of what’s the right
price for the t-shirt you wear?
Sadly, price tells, even in general terms, among people who
say they would like to favour ethical causes, and it shows especially in hard
times, which in the United Kingdom is now the case. So, when Primark was
excluded from the ethical trade initiative, young ladies immediately got on
Twitter and blogs and said, “Hands off Primark. It’s providing us good, cheap
clothes and people rely on it in hard times. It’s valuable.” So there’s a
tension. And it’s one that’s not just between academics and experts, but it’s
out there in society.
The Fair Trade movement’s done a lot in a small space of
time, considering its modest resources, which are mainly good intentions and
working long hours. But it’s impacted on some of those supply chains and those
sentiments and standards need to be spread. But at the end of the day, it’s
still up to consumers. At the end of the day, I think it’s a good long look at
oneself. Or, as Roy and H.G. would say, “Going into the room of mirrors.”
SB: Yeah. Which can be quite confronting first thing in the
morning.
Just on the issue of developing countries, and you’ll now
have to think back a number of years to when you wrote with Wendy Chapple in
Business and Society on the notion of CSR in Asia. There’s been a lot of talk
about the ‘Asian Century’ in Australia recently, following the release of a
government White Paper late last year. In the article, one of your hypotheses
was that “CSR in Asia is dependent on development”. Eight years down the track,
and in light of the ‘rise of Asia’, does your hypothesis ring true?
JM: Thank you for that one. I sort of think that we, our
point was that if CSR is going to be seen as legitimate, both in host countries
and among home country consumers, investors, employees, then it must be seen to
be contributing to development in the broad, rather than just a footnote to it.
And I think the claims of corporate social responsibility are often that
companies, through their supply chains can achieve things which simple
redistributions of wealth may not be able to be achieve or may be insensitive
to.
In that sense, I stand by the expectation for corporate
behaviour. And I think that governments in developing countries, in as much as
they started to try to encourage corporate social responsibility, they’ve often
harnessed it to national development goals.
The most obvious case is that of China, which is encouraging
CSR to complement societal goals and to assist export industries to better meet
the expectations of target markets. Countries like Singapore, which is
developed, but nonetheless is worth thinking about in this conversation as they
very clearly link CSR with development goals. I suspect the link runs through
other Southeast Asian countries.
Whether—it’s been over a decade since we suggested that
hypothesis—whether there is evidence that we were right, I’m not entirely sure.
But what we do know is that the language of corporate social responsibility
runs through local supply chains. It often sort of reinvigorated discussions of
business norms and discussions around ethics.
So, in India, where there had been longstanding ethical
norms on behalf of business people which then morphed into business
philanthropy, that’s, if you like, been a very positive way of them integrating
the spirit of philanthropy with doing the business more responsibly. To that
extent again, I think that CSR is a way of managing and professionalising an
ethical instinct. And over a decade of work in India, there is something
happening there which I would regard as positive.
As always with these sorts of things, the challenge is
getting these innovations and solutions to scale. And I think the challenges
lie there for companies who really should use the Bangladesh situation to go to
scale on standards enforcements, safety standards in factories. Why not?
SB: So actually using something that’s quite a tragic event
to achieve motivation and momentum to affect change.
You mentioned there around the development in CSR and the development
of government agendas and you mentioned in India you’ve seen a reinvigoration
of ethics. You’re in Melbourne as the visiting Gourlay Professor of Business
Ethics at Trinity College. Recently in Australia, business ethics has begun to
be better integrated into MBA curriculum. At MBS, for example, there is now the
Asia Pacific Centre Social Impact Leadership Centre and LaTrobe University has
made a business ethics course part of its core MBA curriculum and signed onto
UNPRME. Why do you think MBA programs are only now acknowledging ethics as a
key component of the ‘business leaders’ toolbox’?
JM: A very
interesting question and something that I’ve done some research on. I’ve done
some surveys at business schools. And scratching my head, I’d say the
following.
Yes, there seems to be a greater interest in this, in as
much as our surveys tell us. Quite often, initially, the impetus came from
interested members of faculty who were banging on the Deans’ doors, suggesting
we do something here. And deans were probably a little sceptical but
interested. And so they thought they’d better look at it.
And I think there is, to some extent, student demand, though
I wouldn’t exaggerate it. I think students go to business school to get the qualification,
to get a good job, to make some money. But nonetheless the survey suggests that
student demands are there.
I think one big change in the last five to six years is that
the accreditation agencies are paying more attention to this and obviously
organisations like the United Nations give an imprimatur to ethics in business.
And I think the UNPRME (United Nations Principles for Responsible Management
Education) is a potentially useful learning device and a learning opportunity
among business schools to examine how and why they should do it. But I think
there are some real difficulties with it. Number one, as I’ve already
intimated, the students go there with an expectation that this is a route to
making money. And this is how business schools are often sold. And indeed, one
of the means of judging their behaviour is, according to the Financial Times MBA Index, salary
progression is the major component of
the index. Read into that what you like.
SB: Harvard Business School has been very open in saying
that they aim to get people very early in their career so that when they
graduate and experience career progression, they’re more likely to attribute it
to their Harvard MBA.
JM: Exactly. And this is a complete disincentive to
educating students from developing countries. Because they will not have
dramatic leaps in their salary if they return to their countries.
I think also, it’s very hard to take seriously this ethical
or responsible business education. One can teach frameworks quite easily.
Ethical frameworks models, citizenship models. One can teach models of
practices quite well. But it’s very hard to imagine how you would affect
somebody who was in your class and, in ten years’ time, had a critical decision
to make, and who presumably, this is the long term objective of those who want
to put responsibility into business education –that it might have a profound
effect on decision making over generations.
And I don’t really know what the solution is. Obviously, you
could say, “Come back and have top-up education.” But then you might have to
defend self-interest – Business schools love the idea of executive education.
SB: The boomerang student?
JM: Yeah. I actually suggested in another forum that
business schools should see the follow up education as more of a service than a
cash opportunity, as universities often do in other regards.
I think there are also other ways of thinking about
teaching. And it’s not sitting in classrooms and doing case studies. It’s
giving students experiences which might have some longer term impact. Either
simulating hard decisions or through group exercises, game plays. I use film at
Nottingham. I have an annual business and ethics film festival, just trying to
get people thinking in slightly different ways, thinking about business and
ethics. And also experience itself, but mediated by an educational imprint. A
big challenge for us and obviously, a lot of work still to be done.
SB: And on the note of a lot of work left to be done, in
your lecture at the Melbourne Business School last Wednesday, you debunked the
usual arguments put up against corporate social responsibility—namely the
Friedmanite ‘the business of business is business’ position, the ‘logic’ of
unregulated markets and the notion that CSR may be a means of ‘corporatising’
the political—to argue that business can
and should be socially responsible.
In the coming decade, what do you think are the priority actions businesses can
undertake to be socially responsible?
JM: I think there’s still a lot of work – incidentally,
predicting the future is a fool’s game and I know this as a supporter of
cricket and rugby teams.
I think there’s still a lot of work to be done around the
notion of doing business responsibly. That’s being done more widely and I think
that’s good. And understanding how to do it responsibly is fraught.
And I was talking with colleagues today about the financial
crisis. And clearly in the crisis there was ignorance, myopia, general
misunderstanding , as well as circumstances which led to the financial crisis,
as well as what you might describe as unethical or irresponsible behaviour. So, I think some of the impetus could be
still turned to more collective action solutions beyond the simple and
relatively modest ethical trade partnerships and the like.
I think addressing the issue of scale improvements, which
would have business benefits through improving social and environmental quality
in which rests business opportunities. So, I think improving the conditions for
business success around social and environmental welfare, sometimes you need a
bit more joined up thinking between companies than has been witnessed to date.
But I also understand that the more that CSR is integrated into company strategy,
the more it’s seen as ‘competitive strategy.’
SB: It’s really interesting in Australia, with the
prevalence of the mining industry, we’re just starting to see in certain areas
where mines are proximal to one another, certain companies are coming together
to address what we term in social impact assessment ‘cumulative impacts’. You
have this accretion of mining effects. So it’s quite interesting now that
mining companies are just beginning to express a willingness to work together,
but they’re seeing it as essential in order to maintain what they’re terming
their ‘social licence to operate’.
JM: Yeah, I think that’s exactly right. And I think social
licences to operate are not just firm specific, they’re also business in
general. And the worst case is that people who go into riots or anti-corporate
activities usually are not singling out a particular company, sometimes they
are, but quite often they are just attacking ‘big cars’ or ‘shopfronts’ willy
nilly. There are exceptions. But I think the ‘cumulative impact’ is a nice way
of summing it up.
0 comments:
Post a Comment